Thursday, June 26, 2008

June 27 Reading Discussion

I apologize for missing last Friday's post. I noticed that not many students responded to week 1's post, so maybe I should aim for posting everyother week. I am STILL waiting for H.I.V.E. to arrive from the library, I am beginning to think my request was lost in the summer shuffle. Has anyone else read this yet? I am looking forward to reading it. I finished Lemonade War last week and have been reading ahead to pick some July books. I have found 1 for sure, but it is long, so I may stick with only 2 books for July. We'll see!

So, to the important stuff...Thank you to those of you who responded to my post on 6/13. I had fun reading your comments. I hope more people can join the fun this time around!

The Lightening Thief-
Still the best book I have read this summer. It really reminds me of Gregor the Overlander...have you read that yet? If you like Lightening Thief, then you would LOVE Gregor!

How does the last line of the prophecy – you shall fail to save what matters most in the end – come true? What do you think of this ending? Did Percy make the right choice? What would you have done in his place?

The Lemonade War-
This book was a really quick read. If I hadn't been distracted by the nice weather, I may have finished it in one day! I thought it was a good story about siblings and family relationships. I liked how the little sister researched "good business techniques" in order to make more money at the lemonade stand.

What are some lessons you can learn from this book? Why do you think they are important?

H.I.V.E (Higher Institute for Villianous Education)
As I mentioned above, I am still waiting for this book to arrive at my library. I don't have any new questions this week, if you have read the book, please post a question for the group.

How is Otto like and unlike Harry Potter? Do you see any similarities between the 2 books?

To post your comments, just hit the "comments" button below. Type in your first name only (so we know who is talking) and then write about your thoughts. I will check in periodically during the week to see what everyone is saying!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Percy Jackson in The Lightning Theif reminds me of Gregor in Gregor the Overlander because they both have to go on a series of quests, because somebody betrays them in both of the books, and because they aren't really sure of themselves when they have to go on the quests. Annabeth in the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series reminds me of the queen in Gregor the Overlander because they both have the same attitudes.

Anonymous said...

The post under me was made by Caelan M.

Anonymous said...

The two posts above me were made by Caelan M.

Anonymous said...

The only similarity I see is harry and otto are both natural leaders and they have a tall guy friend and a genius girl friend.

Mrs. P said...

I STILL haven't gotten HIVE, but I have picked out 2 books for July...not telling what yet though! Did anyone read HIVE yet? (I see Evan did) was it a good book?