Saturday, June 14, 2008

June 13th reading discussion

I hope the first week of summer was enjoyable & relaxing! I finished The Lightening Thief but haven't started either of the other two books yet. I really loved this book and hope someone else has read it too! I would love to hear what you think! I was trying to decide how to start up a conversation about these books, especially since there are 3...I am not very good at reading more than 1 book at a time. I will post 3 discussion questions each week and leave it up to you readers to comment (instructions below). If you have something else you want to comment on, you can do that as well.

The Lightening Thief-
This was a great book! I loved all the references to Greek Mythology. It made me want to go and check out a book to refresh my memory on all of the Gods and myths that went along with them! Did you feel that way too? Here is a discussion question to get you started:

When describing his mother, Percy says, “She’s the best person in the world, which just proves my theory that the best people get the rottenest luck.” How does this apply to Percy’s mom? Is this theory true in life? In the Greek myths?

The Lemonade War-
I haven't started this book yet. It is next on my list...I think it will be a great one because everyone loves having lemonade stands, right? It is also about sibling rivlary...most of you can relate to that also!!

Have you ever felt competitive with someone you are close to, like a sibling or a good friend? What was the competition about? What did you do? How was it resolved?

H.I.V.E (Higher Institute for Villianous Education)
I am still waiting for this book to be sent to me from the library. It is about a boy who is sent to a school on a volcanic island against his will. He and his friends try desperately to get off the island. It sounds interesting...kind of like a backwards Harry Potter.

How is Otto like and unlike Harry Potter? Do you see any similarities between the 2 books?

To post your comments, just hit the "comments" button below. Type in your first name only (so we know who is talking) and then write about your thoughts. I will check in periodically during the week to see what everyone is saying!

Look for a new post next Friday, Happy Reading!

Mrs. Plasch

6 comments:

Mrs. P said...

Hey Guys! I hope to see lots of comments here when I check back :)

mr.personality said...

The Lightning Thief is my favorite book in the world!!! I loved it when Percy was fighting the minotaur.

Anonymous said...

I think the theory realates to Percy's mother, because she had to marry Smelly Gabe to protect Percy. To have to do that is very rotten luck.

Mrs. P said...

I am glad you guys are enjoying The Lightening Thief! I go back and forth trying to decide if Percy's mother has "rotten luck" or if part of her destiny (or possibly the choices she made in life)caused her to end up with Smelly Gabe. She doesn't seem to mind her "fate". At least not until the end of the book ;)

Anonymous said...

Oh, wow,I loved this book! It was so good I read it in a day! I'm getting the second and third ones also. My favorite part was when Percy said to Hermes that his receptionist in the lobby needed a pay rise.

Anonymous said...

It applies to Percy's mom because she is nice, but his dad treats her really badly. It is true that this happens in real life. In all the Greek Myths that I've read so far it hasn't happened.