Friday, July 18, 2008

New Books for July

Again, the time has slipped away from me. Sorry it has been so long between my posts. I hope you enjoyed the June books and are ready for a few more! This month I am going to only choose 2 books (since July is already 1/2 over!). Here they are:

The Mysterious Benedict Society by: Trenton Lee Stewart
Four children, Reynard "Reynie" Muldoon, George "Sticky" Washington, Kate "The Great Kate Weather Machine" Wetherall, and Constance Contraire, pass a series of tests advertised in the newspaper. After passing the mind-bending tests, the four children meet Mr. Nicholas Benedict, a man trying to stop something known as "The Thing to Come". Mr. Benedict sends them to The Learning Institute for the Very Enlightened (LIVE), where they meet Ledroptha Curtain, a man trying to take over the world using sumbliminal messages.

I thought this book was interesting. It is similar to Harry Potter because it deals with 3 friends who are orphans going to a new school. There is no magic or wizardry, but there is mystery- which is always exciting.

Which character do you identify with the most, and why?

Marley: a dog like no other by: John Grogan
The author wrote this adaptation of his #1 New York Times bestselling Marley & Me just for kids. In his own words, here is the heartwarming and unforgettable story of how this big, rambunctious dog becomes the heart of the Grogan family.
Meet Marley, a yellow furball of a puppy who quickly grows into a large, rowdy Labrador retriever. With an appetite for nearly anything he can get his mouth around, including couches and fine jewelry, Marley is always getting into trouble. Some may say he's the world's worst dog. But those who know and love Marley accept him as a dog like no other. His heart is pure and his larger-than-life personality irresistible. With unconditional love and loyalty, he brings joy to his family, the Grogans, and teaches them what really matters in life.

I absolutely LOVED this book when I read it originally a few years ago. I think this adaptation is wonderful and you will love it too, especially if you have a family pet.

Pets are frequently referred to as “part of the family.” In what ways does
Marley reflect this statement? If you own a pet, does your pet reflect your
family?

Happy Reading!!


P.S. I FINALLY received H.I.V.E from the Library. Long story, but I am excited to read it this weekend. I will let you know what I thought in my next post.

No comments: